Skip to content

Race for Fetal Hope 5K

October 16, 2010

Good morning everyone! Today was race day and I am super excited to share how I did!

I woke up at 6:15am to not one, not two, but THREE alarms. I guess you could say that I was a little paranoid that I would oversleep. πŸ˜‰ I haven’t been up that early in awhile so you could imagine my surprise when I looked outside and it was still DARK!

I guess I’m going to have to get used to this!!! πŸ™‚

I was pretty nervous but I forced myself to eat a small pre-race breakfast- 1/2 banana and a slice of ezekiel toast.

After getting ready and listening to some upbeat music, I was ready to head out to the beach, but not before a pre-race picture!

The drive out to the race site (which was about 7 blocks from the beach!) was very nice. I got to see a lovely sunrise!

Once I arrived at the race site, I went to pick up my timing chip and t-shirt. They ran out of small and medium t-shirts so I now had to resort to getting a HUGE adult large. I guess I have a new sleep shirt. πŸ˜‰

I was still pretty nervous at the race site so while the children’s fun run was being ran, I jogged around the race site to warm up and look at some of the vendors. Before I knew it, it was time to line up at the start line! I knew that I wanted to run between a 7:30-8:00 first mile so I was told to go near the start of the pack. Once the gun went off, the adrenaline kicked in!

This was a pretty fast course- it was all pavement weaving through the nearby neighborhoods. Some of the neighbors were outside to cheer us on. I felt strong starting off and got into a pretty good groove. I was very surprised when my first mile split was 7:13! That is 2 seconds better than I have EVER ran a mile before! As mile two wore on, I realized that I was not going to be able to keep this pace so I started to slow down a little, after all, I was doing this race for fun, not for time! At mile two my split was 15:46. Mile three was a blur, but Β as the finish line came into sight, I lengthened out my stride to finish with a final time of 23:59! A NEW PR! According to the unofficial results, I came in 45th overall and 7th in my age group (but it’s not about winning.)

At the finish I returned the timing chip and grabbed my “swag” bag which had a lot of cool little samples and goodies! I made a quick jog to my car to drop off the bag and grab my cell phone so I could do my 4th and final mile for the day. I took it pretty easy, jogging just over 9:00.

Yay for being done with my first race and my first “long” run! πŸ™‚ 4 miles complete!

I was not hungry for awhile after the race but once I made it back to my apartment I had some greek yogurt with the other half of the banana, some peanut butter, and cinnamon!

I’m off for a day of shopping, baking, and stopping by a music rehearsal for the show I’m in. πŸ™‚


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: